.as Anonymous hacks EFCC, INEC websites
Nigeria’s ICT regulator, National Information Technology Development Agency (NITDA) has released tips on the preventive to be taken by website owners, especially, government agencies, against hackers. This came on the heels of an onslaught declared against Nigerian government websites by the global hacker group, Anonymous, in solidarity with the Nigerian youths’ EndSars protest.
Already, the hackers, after taking over the Twitter accounts of the National Broadcasting Commission (NBC), has also hacked the websites of the country’s anti-corruption agency, Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), and the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).
A tweet by Anonymous read in part, “Official website of @officialEFCC has been taken down in support of #EndSARSProtest. CHECK HOST: https://check-host.net/check-report/df89d3bk838 TARGET: https://efccnigeria.org/efcc/ You should have expected us! #EndCorruptionin Nigeria.”
NITDA in the tips released today titled: ‘How to Secure Your Website from Hackers’ advised website owners to always keep their website platform and software up to date as hackers attempt to abuse security holes found in software.
Other measures according to NITDA:
- Make sure passwords are secure and complex, this makes it difficult for hackers to crack.
- Install SSL certificate, this will provide your website with data encryption.
- Enhance your website with security plugins that actively prevent website hacking attempts.
- Install the web application firewall; this blocks all non-essential ports
- Install anti-malware security to prevent attacks and tighten network security
- Run regular backups-to prepare for the worst scenario